Dahi chicken is a gravy chicken curry made using curd in the chicken. It’s a delicious and very simple chicken curry that can be served with rice. There are many ways of making chicken curries and this is yet another interesting way of making chicken curry which is very easy with fewer ingredients.
About the recipe
- Chicken curries are made in thousand different ways but the basic things that go into it to make gravy consistency is onions, tomatoes or yogurt/curd.
- Some tend to add yogurt and some prefer adding tomatoes but the overall result is delicious gravy curries. Here, we have made this curry just by using chicken and it is just amazing when served with chapati, phulka or rice.
Making chicken is the most easiest thing as it tastes good, smells good after cooking and looks good too and something that can be soften in 20-25 minutes and have a great meal.
Dahi is a hindi word for yogurt or curd and it is named differently in different regions such as ‘perugu’ in telugu language and ‘tayir’ in tamil language and so on…
How to make the recipe?
All we need to have is chicken and curd at home to make it and onions that are always available at home.
This dahi chicken curry tastes good with roti or chapathi too. I have shared various kind of chicken gravies and would like to share many more kinds of chicken curries that are easy to make.
The gravy consistency can be made thick or thin as per one’s requirement and do not over cook the chicken as it loses all the wonderful taste that it contains due to overcooking.
This is basically a common chicken recipe made using yogurt and it does not take much time to prepare before making the chicken.
There are so many chicken varieties that are yet to be made and dahi chicken is one of them and shall be posting many more chicken recipes as I keep blogging on different recipes.
This is a curry that tastes good with any basic pulao or a steamed rice. It can be made for simple occasions too.
I love cooking chicken and hope the same with my readers who prefer to make non-veg and I love to experiment with many chicken dishes.
The chicken always takes minimum 40 minutes for it to cook well if it is slow cooked and if it is pressure cooked then do not give more than 2 or 3 whistles as the chicken might overcook it more whistles are given.
Hope my blog readers like my dahi chicken which tastes yummy with any main dish like roti and rice.
Step by Step procedure
- Firstly take a wok, into it add oil and heat it. Add whole garam masalas such as cloves and cinnamon sticks. Add sliced onions and saute for few minutes.
- Add slit green chillies, salt to taste.
- Mix and cook until the onions turn soft.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, mix well.
- Cook the masala for few minutes and until the oil starts separating.
- Add chicken and roast it for few minutes on medium to low flame.
- Cover the lid and cook the chicken on low flame until oil starts separating.
- Beat the yoghurt well and add to the chicken and mix well.
- Cook for five minutes on low flame.
- Add coriander seeds powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, coriander leaves, mix well. Add ½ cup water and mix.
- Cook the chicken on low flame until the chicken gets soft.
dahi chicken recipe, yogurt chicken
A simple and easy dahi chicken recipe using dahi that is yogurt and chicken and making a simple curry without too many ingredients.
- 500 gms chicken cleaned and washed well
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves and 3 small cinnamon sticks
- 3 onions finely sliced
- 3-4 green chillies vertically slit
- salt – to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup beaten yogurt/dahi/curd
- ½ teaspoon roasted coriander seeds powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup water
Firstly take a wok, into it add oil and heat it.
Add whole garam masala such as cloves and cinnamon sticks.
Add sliced onions and saute for few minutes.
Add slit green chillies, salt, mix and cook until the onions turn soft.
Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, mix well.
Cook the masala for few minutes and until oil starts separating.
Add chicken and roast it for few minutes on medium to low flame.
Cover the lid and cook the chicken on low flame until oil starts separating.
Beat the yogurt well and add into the chicken and mix well.
Cook for five minutes on low flame.
Add coriander seeds powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, coriander leaves, mix well.
Add ½ cup water and mix.
Cook the chicken on low flame until chicken gets soft.
Switch off the flame.
Serve hot with rice or roti.
1.If chicken has to cook fast, then the curry can be pressure cooked and should not be given more than 2 or 3 whistles.
2.Just roast the chicken quickly, add all the mentioned masala, curd and pressure cook, it turns out as good as slow cooked.
dahi chicken recipe, yogurt chicken
Amount Per Serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Hope this version of dahi chicken is loved by my viewers and do give us your valuable suggestions and feedback and do not forget to follow our facebook and youtube channels and stay connected for more such fantastic recipes.