Egg fried rice is a fried rice recipe made using scrambled eggs and rice. I have made a restaurant-style version of egg fried rice which is almost close to Chinese style. This is one of the favourite food items searched a lot using eggs. I have shared the most delicious and wonderful version of egg fried rice commonly made on the streets of India and its finger-licking literally.
About the recipe
This is Chinese fried rice where I have used rice and scrambled eggs. The rice is nicely fried with eggs and some veggies like capsicum, carrots and spring onion greens.
This is a very quick recipe using eggs where the eggs are beaten and cooked along with some veggies. To enhance the flavours, sauces like soya sauce and red chilli sauce are added and fried for more restaurant like flavours.
We just need very few ingredients like eggs, cooked rice, spices and sauces to make this delicious recipe which is a very quick, easy and instant recipe.
I received lots of appreciation after making it as it turned out exactly like the restaurant-style fried rice. I would like to share many more indo chinese recipes one by one as I keep updating.
I love indo Chinese cuisine and would like to post tried and tested recipes of Chinese cuisine which are almost close to restaurant one’s or like the fast food centres.
Nothing could be more pleasing than making food recipes which are as good as restaurant one’s at home and having them. Making at home is very hygienic and using fresh food ingredients keeps us healthy too and gives a healthy feeling.
The spicy masala flavor of the recipes comes due to spices like red chilli powder, white pepper powder and chilli sauce. This one can be called as a masala egg fried rice.
In restaurants the rice that is used is parboiled rice, but, since this is a recipe that is made at home, normal or ordinary rice can be used which gives an even better flavour than street food. No need of using basmati rice.
To get a desi touch to it, just using normal flavor is enough for the perfect outcome.
This egg fried rice can be packed for kids lunch box or it can be eaten any time of the day. A recipe that is liked by many is shared below with the help of a video procedure and a written recipe.
Eggs: This is the main ingredient to use within the recipe and I have used four full eggs including the white part and the yolk of the eggs. The eggs should be blended well before we scramble and cook them.
Veggies: I have used green capsicum, chopped carrots, spring onions but various other veggies can be used such as chopped french beans, shredded cabbage, chopped onions while sauteing the veggies with eggs. etc… and all these give a wonderful taste to the rice.
Rice: Here, in the recipe , I have separately cooked the rice by adding some salt and have made use of ordinary rice and not basmati rice. Any rice including basmati rice can be used to make the fried rice.
The rice can be pressure cooked or can be cooked in rice cooker or separately in cook pot and all these methods work fine to cook the rice.
Generally, rice with small size grain rice is used in the recipe and I have maintained the same to make it look more authentic.
Spices: Basic spices such as salt, chili powder are used to add color and spice touch to the rice but along with them it is best to add pepper powders which actually are the main spices for the recipe.
Sauces: The authentic fried rice is incomplete without sauces and the common sauces that go into making are red chili sauce, soy sauce and other sauces too can be added to give restaurant type flavors such as oyster sauce.
In the end, we need to add a little bit of vinegar which gives the actually fried rice fragrance to the recipe. Use edible vinegar that is rice vinegar used for cooking purposes which are easily available in markets.
Step by step photos and procedure
Step 1 is to cook the rice :
- Firstly, cook one cup of rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt until it is done.
- Take the rice out and spread it on a plate.
- Allow it to cool.
- The cooked rice grains should be well separated for the perfect outcome.
Step 2 is to make the fried rice:
- In a bowl, break four eggs with both yellow and white parts of the eggs.
- Into the eggs, add salt as per taste and black pepper powder.
- Take a wok, add oil and heat it.
- Into it, add the beaten eggs. Let them cook for few minutes. Also try omelette recipe made in a similar manner.
- Scramble the eggs completely and cook until they are perfectly done.
- Into it add very finely chopped capsicum, carrots, spring onion greens.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute well for few minutes to get rid of raw smell. If this paste is not handy then one can add ginger powder and garlic powder or chopped ginger and chopped garlic can be used.
- Into it, add cooked rice and saute again for 2-3 minutes on high flame to medium flame. I have cooked rice separately in water and salt until the rice is cooked well and not soggy. make sure the rice cooked is not soggy. Cook rice with proper ratio of water so that it turns out loose and grainy.
- add red chilli powder, add white pepper powder, mix it well.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Sauteing is important as we have to stir fry the rice well as we keep adding spices and then followed by other ingredients.
- Add soya sauce. Light ot dark can be used but preferably light and if dark color rice is preferred then go ahead with dark soy sauce which gives strong color and flavor.
- add red chilli sauce, mix well. To make it more spicy this sauce quantity can be doubled.
- Saute well again for 3-4 minutes. Stir frying and sauteing are two main points to give a good result to fried rice. The more the rice is stir fried the more flavorful the rice tastes.
- Lastly add vinegar and mix up well. Use vinegar used for cooking purposes.
- Saute for two minutes and its done.
- Serve the egg rice by garnishing with spring onion greens. Also check out chicken fried rice and veg fried rice for more fried rice recipes.
egg fried rice recipe | how to make egg fried rice spicy
A quick and easy egg fried rice made using scrambled eggs, sauces and veggies.
- 4 eggs
- salt – to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper corn powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon very finely chopped capsicum
- 2 tablespoon very finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoon very finely chopped spring onion green
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup rice (200 gms/1.5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
Firstly, cook one cup of rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt until it is done.
Take the rice out and spread it on a plate.
Allow it to cool.
The cooked rice grains should be well separated for the perfect outcome.
Making of egg fried rice:
In a bowl, beat four eggs, into it add salt as per taste and black pepper powder.
Beat the mixture well.
Take a wok, add oil and heat it.
Into it, add the beaten eggs.
Let them cook for few minutes.
Scramble the eggs completely and cook until they are perfectly done.
Into it add very finely chopped capsicum, carrots, spring onion greens.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute well for few minutes to get rid of raw smell.
Into it, add cooked rice and saute again for 2-3 minutes on high flame to medium flame.
Add salt, red chilli powder, white pepper powder, mix it well.
Saute for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
Add soya sauce, red chilli sauce, mix well.
Saute well again for 3-4 minutes.
Lastly add vinegar and mix up well.
Saute for two minutes and its done.
Serve the egg rice by garnishing with spring onion greens.
Watch the video procedure above.
- To get a perfect fried rice keep sauteing rice for every few minutes after adding ingredients.
- If basmati rice is used, soak 1 cup of basmati rice for 30 minutes and then cook the rice until it is perfectly done. Use the cooked basmati rice for making egg fried rice.
- I have used normal or ordinary rice since I wanted to make normal street food style version however, if one wants to make it with basmati go for it.
egg fried rice recipe | how to make egg fried rice spicy
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 475IU10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Yes, the recipe can be made without eggs. Just skip adding eggs and scrambling them. Saute by adding the rest of the ingredients and saute cooked rice in it by adding sauces and spices.
There are other spices that can be added to rice such as black pepper powder, garam masala powder to make it more Indian but keeping it similar to the Chinese version is better as the Chinese version gives an amazing taste if followed as per my blog recipe directions. Sauces such ad oyster sauce, green chilli sauce, tomato sauce can be added in addition to the mentioned sauces in the recipe. Also, both kinds of soy sauce such as light and dark can be used in the recipe. I would suggest sticking to light soy sauce to keep the recipe light and tasty.
I have used normal rice as used in street food style making but if making at home one can make it with basmati rice or any International rice brand.
If making with basmati rice, soak the rice for at least 30-35 minutes and then boil the rice in some salt until it is almost done.
Strain the rice and add to the egg mixture and saute the rice with spices and sauces.
In order to make fried rice without sauces skip adding soy sauce and chili sauce. Just saute the rice in spices and it tastes good too. Just sauteing rice in scrambled egg mixture and packing for kids lunch boxes is a great idea.
The fried rice becomes a wonderful egg rice recipe without sauces that can be quickly made and served to kids.
In order to make it spicier double, the number of sauces mentioned in the recipe and additional sauces too can be added to make it spicier.
Yes, the leftover rice can be added and made in a similar manner.