Rava Laddu is a popular Indian festive sweet made of rava / sooji (semolina), ghee, sugar and flavored with cardamom. Quick and easy recipe of rava laddu with step by step pictures and video is given here.
Rava Laddu is one of the popular sweets that you can make for any festival. It is a quick and easy to make sweet and is one of the first few sweets I learned to prepare. Rava Laddu is also popularly known as Suji ke Laddu.
About Rava Laddu
Rava Laddu is a festive sweet that can be made quickly. It is one of the very few ladoo recipes that even beginners can also try. Rava Laddu is also called as Suji ka laddu.
“Krishnar Jayanthi / Gokulashtami” – The festival I look forward each year. The little footprints drawn gives the home a divine look. In hindu customs, it is believed that the footprints drawn brings little krishna home. Rava Laddu is made for Gokulashtami or any festive occasions like Diwali etc.
Rava Laddu is made using rava or sooji(cream of wheat), sugar, ghee, cashewnuts and flavored with cardamom. Basically Rava Laddu is nothing but sweet sooji balls with nuts.
There are many variations to this easy Rava Laddu but I am sharing my family recipe which is easy, quick to make and tastes delicious.
Rava Laddu is one of the delicious laddu that you can make for any festival especially Gokulashtami or Krishna Jayanthi. This laddo is also called as Suji Ke Laddu which is made from semolina or rava or sooji or cream of wheat along with ghee, sugar, nuts and flavored with green cardamom.
This recipe is from my mother who is making it for the past 30 years and it is no fail recipe that even beginners can try. Beginners are always doubtful to try sweet recipes because of the consistency but this sweet is quick and easy to make with no consistency checks.
Do try this easy Rava Laddu and enjoy! Do check the variations I have shared for more varieties, flavors and tastes.
Rava Laddu Ingredients
- Rava / Sooji / Semolina: I have used store bought rava (hard wheat / semolina) for this recipe. Make sure to slow roast rava until nice aroma comes, but do nomt change its colour.
- Sugar: Traditionally white sugar is added for Rava Laddu. You can alternate sugar with jaggery powder, or demerara sugar, cane sugar and make sure to increase the quantity accordingly.
- Ghee : Use homemade ghee for best aroma and flavour. Use fresh ghee for best taste.
- Nuts : I have used cashewnuts broken then fried in ghee, you can add almonds, pistachios based on your choice
- Cardamom : The best flavor for Rava Laddu is from cardamom so use freshly powdered cardamom powder.
Rava Laddu Recipe Step by Step
1.Heat 1 teaspoon ghee to a pan. We need 1/4 cup ghee for this recipe so take 1 teaspoon ghee from it for roasting.
2.Add rava/(semolina) to a kadai and dry roast it until nice aroma comes and it turns slightly golden. You can feel the aroma in the kitchen and that is the sign that rava is roasted well,
3.Take care not to brown them, turn off heat, keep aside and allow it to cool. Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a tadka pan and roast cashews till golden brown, keep aside. Immediately transfer it to a bowl to cool down.
4.To a mixer jar add 3/4 cup sugar along with 2 cardamom. I peeled the skin and added, you can add it as such too.
5.Powder the sugar very fine, set aside in a bowl.
6.Then transfer roasted rava to the same mixer jar.
7.Grind it to a semi coarse mixture.
8.Transfer powdered rava and sugar to a mixing bowl.
9.Mix until it is combined well.
10.Heat 1/4 cup ghee in a tadka pan – add 2 tablespoon broken cashews.
11.Fry until golden. Switch off.
12.Then add the fried cashews along with ghee to the mixing bowl.
13.Mix everything together , by this time it will look like bread crumbs. First mix with a spatula as it will be hot.
14.Then with your fingers mix it well, break the lumps if any.
15.Form them into rounds balls by pressing tight. Press it tight and form balls. Repeat to finish.
16. Rava Laddus are ready. Store in an airtight container.
- Choosing Sooji / Rava : Choose fine variety of semolina or rava or sooji preferably.
- Roasting Sooji : While roasting rava take care not to brown it, be very careful to turn over if not it might get browned at the bottom. Roast it well for 5-7 mins stirring continuously. After roasting immediately transfer it to a bowl to cool down, do not let it in the pan itself as the heat of the pan might brown the rava.
- Grinding Sooji : The texture of rava should be slightly coarse else while eating it will not have the crunch and will not taste good. Also take care not to grind the rava too coarse else shaping will be difficult.
- Mixing : While mixing sooji and sugar, mix thoroughly so that the sugar is evenly coated on all sides. Also add sugar only when rava is warm, if it is too hot then adding sugar will melt it.
- Adding ghee : Do not add more ghee, it will make the laddus look dull and alter the taste. Also use homemade or fresh ghee for best flavor.
- Nuts – I have used chopped cashews, you can even use almonds, raisins too.
- Adding 3/4 cup sugar will be just perfect, it will taste a bit over sweet when you taste it just after making but will be perfect after few hrs.
- You can add half and half ghee and milk if you are looking for a low fat version.
- After the milk is added quickly form them into balls, don’t let it dry. If its dried add few drops of ghee and form into balls.
- The ghee version keeps well even for a week but the milk version the shelf life is very less consume it within a day or two.
- You can add 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut, saute in ghee for 2 mins then add it. Add 1 tablespoon ghee extra if adding coconut.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon rose essence and few drops pink food color to make rose rava laddu. Likewise you can try with other flavors of your choice too.
- You can also add raisins fry and add it. You can add almonds along with cashews too.
Serving & Storing Suggestion
Serve it as a snack along with tea or coffee. Store in an airtight container to retain freshness. Need not refrigerate. Rava Laddu keeps well for about 2-3 days in room temperature.
1.What is Rava Laddu?
Rava Laddu is sweet semolina balls made using semolina or rava or sooji along with sugar, ghee, cardamom and nuts. It is also called Suji ke Laddu.
2.Why is my laddu breaking while shaping?
If there is no enough moisture content then the laddu may break. So add little more ghee and start shaping. Warm ghee helps laddu to hold its shape well.
3.Can I made rava laddu using jaggery / cane sugar?
Yes you can make rava laddu with jaggery or cane sugar but make sure to use orani variety which is free from impurities as we have to add it as such.
4.What type of pan is best suited for making rava laddu?
You can use any heavy bottomed pan or kadai to roast rava. But make sure not to burn it and stir at regular intervals.
Tried this Rava Laddu Recipe? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions
📖 Recipe Card
Rava Laddu Recipe | Rava Ladoo Recipe
Rava ladoo is a popular Indian festive sweet made of rava / sooji (semolina), ghee, sugar and flavored with cardamom. Quick and easy recipe of rava laddu with step by step pictures featured in this edition.
- 1 cup fine sooji / rava / semolina
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee melted
- 2 nos cardamom
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts broken
Add rava to a kadai and dry roast it until nice aroma comes and it turns slightly golden. Take care not to brown them, turn off heat, keep aside and allow it to cool.
Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a tadka pan and roast cashews till golden brown, keep aside.
Powder the sugar very fine, set aside in a bowl. Then transfer roasted rava to the same mixer jar.
Grind it to a semi coarse mixture. Transfer powdered rava and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix until it is combined well.
Then add the fried cashews, cardamom powder. Add ghee.
Mix everything together , by this time it will look like bread crumbs. With your hands form them into rounds balls by pressing tight.
Press it tight and form balls. set aside. Store in airtight container.
Enjoy Rava Laddu!
- Add rava / sooji to a kadai and dry roast it until nice aroma comes and it turns slightly golden. Take care not to brown them, turn off heat, keep aside and allow it to cool.Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a tadka pan and roast cashews till golden brown, keep aside.
- Powder the sugar very fine, set aside in a bowl. Then transfer roasted rava to the same mixer jar.
- Grind it to a semi coarse mixture.Transfer powdered rava and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix until it is combined well.
- Then add the fried cashews, cardamom powder. Add ghee.
- Mix everything together , by this time it will look like bread crumbs. With your hands form them into rounds balls by pressing tight.
- Press it tight and form balls. Set aside.
- Store in airtight container.
Rava Laddu Recipe | Rava Ladoo Recipe
Amount Per Serving (40 g)
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Vitamin C 0.1mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.