Semiya upma is a quick and easy upma recipe made using vermicelli which can be made quickly in 10 to 15 minutes as a breakfast recipe. This is commonly called vermicelli upma or sevai upma and is a very popular south indian tiffin recipe.
About the recipe
The recipe looks like Maggi noodles recipe but actually, it is not noodles but an Indian version of sevai which is commonly available here.
The vermicelli are thin long strands made out of wheat flour mainly which are cooked as upma or pulao in south india to have as a breakfast recipe.
Other south indian breakfast varieties
There are many more popular south indian breakfast recipes which should be tried such as masala dosa, rava dosa, mysore bonda, punugulu, pesarattu, pulihora etc… which are currently on the blog and shall update many more south indian and north indian breakfast recipes among which poha is already posted.
How to make this upma?
The sevai that is used is available in any supermarket or grocery store in India. The seviya is available in either white or light brown in color. The white one is basically unroasted form of vermicelli and light brown is roasted form of vermicelli.
Which vermicelli to use now?
- If white semiya is handy and available then do make use of it and dry roast it just by adding only a little bit of oil and roast it until it gets slight brown.
- Make sure to stir continuously while roasting and do not roast on high flame.
- Roast only for few seconds until it reaches the color required.
- Roasting on high flame burns the vermicelli.
- This brown colored semiya is already roasted slightly while it is packed but roasting it for few seconds in oil before its use gives a delicious aroma and amazing flavor to it.
- This semiya too should be sauteed in low flame and stirred well well sauteing.
- Do not do it on high flame as it turns black from brown and should be discarded without using.
How to make it?
This breakfast upma using vermicelli is made by sauteing the vermicelli first and then using it later.
Separately, the veggies such as carrots, peas, onions, tomatoes are stir fried for a while and then water is added. The water is then boiled and semiya is added and cooked for few minutes until done.
The semiya just takes 3-5 minutes to get cooked as required.
There are many other breakfast versions that can be made using vermicelli which would be shared but there is a dessert recipe made out of vermicelli and it is a popular dessert in southern india called as semiya payasam.
This is one of the easy upma recipes to make for morning breakfasts and can also be made as a quick snack. Other upma recipes to be tried are rava upma , oats upma which are already posted on the blog.
Tips to make perfect loose vermicelli
- The vermicelli if roasted well is the main secret to get an amazing outcome as this lets the appearance of the long grains intact even after cooking.
- The water should be added in the ratio in such a way that water quantity should be just a little more to the quantity of semiya added.
- For example: if 1 cup of vermicelli is used then add 1.5 cups of water while boiling and if making 2 cups then adding 3 cups of water would be more than enough.
- Do not overcook the semiya as it turns soggy if overcooked.
- If one is willing to make it for kids and requires it be more soft then increase another cup of water overall to make it slightly softer which is perfect to serve it for kids or senior people.
This semiya upma can be considered as one of the healthiest breakfast recipes as it has vermicelli in it, vegetables are boiled and made by just using little oil which makes up for a healthy, quick and easy tiffin recipe uisng semiya.
Below is the recipe details step by step to make semiya upma. I have also made a video for the recipe that should make it even easier to understand the recipe.
Step by step procedure
- Take a pan, heat it and add vermicelli into it. Add a teaspoon of oil and roast it by stirring continuously on low heat.
- Roast it for 2 minutes by stirring.
- Switch off the flame.
- Transfer them into a plate and rest aside for later use.
- Take a pan, add a tablespoon of oil and heat it.
- Add sliced onions and saute few seconds.
- Add slit green chillies, curry leaves and saute the onions until they turn light pinkish in colour.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, carrots, green peas into it.
- Stir fry the veggies for a minute. Add salt as per taste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder.
- Mix and cook the masala for a minute.
- Add about 1.5 cups of water and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli. Stir well.
- Cook for few minutes and stir in between.
- Cook until the water gets absorbed.
- Stir and close the lid. Cook on low heat for few minutes until it is cooked well.
- Switch off the stove and serve semiya upma hot.
semiya upma recipe, vermicelli upma
a quick breakfast made by using semiya and veggies
- 1 cup vermicelli/semiya
- 1 medium sized onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- 3 slit green chilies
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon green peas/matar
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder/haldi
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
Dry roasting vermicelli:
Take a pan, heat it and add vermicelli into it.
Add a teaspoon of oil and roast it by stirring continuously on low heat.
Roast if for 2 minutes by stirring.
Switch off the flame.
Transfer them into a plate and rest aside for later use.
Making of the upma:
Take a pan, add a tablespoon of oil and heat it.
Add sliced onions and saute few seconds.
Add slit green chillies, curry leaves and saute the onions until they turn light pinkish in color.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute few seconds.
Add the chopped tomatoes, carrots, green peas into it.
Stir fry the veggies for a minute.
Add salt as per taste, red chili powder, turmeric powder.
Mix and cook the masala for a minute.
Add about 1.5 cups of water and bring the water to a boil.
Add the roasted vermicelli.
Cook for few minutes and stir in between.
Cook until water gets absorbed.
Stir and close the lid.
Cook on low heat for few minutes until it is cooked well.
Switch off the stove and serve hot.
- White or brown color vermicelli can be used and both taste well if used after roasting them in little oil.
- Additional veggies such as french beans too can be added to enhance the taste.
semiya upma recipe, vermicelli upma
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 220IU4%
Vitamin C 10mg12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.